Earth Day - After the Fact...

Yes, I'm going to post about Earth Day.....yes, I know it's late....BUT I hope you see some fab ideas you can use and/or pin for next year:)  So buckle up and get ready for a bunch of pics and fun!
 
We started our day with this wonderful product from my buddy Ladybugs!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Earth-Day-Activities-1819005
I can't even tell you how much fun my kiddos had with this AND it had a lot of the vocabulary words that we were studying in Science!!  Win, win!!
The kids worked in teams to decode the scrambled words!  I love the way she has this entire packet set up!

They worked hard and even had to pull in their dry erase boards to try to unscramble:)
 
We are still working on "part 2" of this packet which is designing a "green" classroom:)
 
After they spent quite a while working on their Earth Day Word Work, they needed a little break.  Next on the to do list was making a biosphere!  I did quite a bit of reading/researching about biospheres before I decided to tackle this project.  The original project I was going from suggested snails and ghost shrimp in the biosphere.  I went to a couple of pet shops and asked quite a few questions and explained what I was doing.  The last pet store I went to was quite helpful.  The girl helping me there said ghost shrimp aren't very hardy and may die quite quickly....well, didn't really want to traumatize the kids with that.  She said I had a few other options: one being a fiddler crab BUT if I had that, I couldn't have snails because he would eat them:/  My other option was a African dwarf frog.  Well, that's what I went with.
The girl was so nice, she even printed out several fact sheets about the frog for my students:)
You will also need plants (I got these from the pet store), rocks, pond water, distilled water, and a jar that can seal.
Here's our little frog and one of the 2 snails I got:)
Put everything in....seal it up and you're set.  P.S. did you know snails can't "right" themselves very easily?  Well, me either!!  So we had to set them carefully onto the bottom.
It will be a week tomorrow and everyone is doing great and the jar is as clear as ever!  We actually made a second biosphere:)  It's just waiting for me to get back to the pet store for some more critters:)
Give biospheres a try.  Super fun and the kids were beyond excited to do it!
 
Of course, it wouldn't be Earth Day without The Lorax:)
So made this treat and they snacked while I read:)
What on Earth would I do without Pinterest?!?!?!?!
 
Have a wonderful rest of your week:)

No comments

Back to Top