Symmetry, Reflection, Name Bugs

I do these name bugs every year because the kids LOVE them so much!  It's also a fun review/lesson for symmetry and reflection.  I'm pretty sure I've posted about these before but don't think I've given instructions...if so, sorry...lol....end of year teacher brain:/  Lots of pics ahead....a mini tutorial and some final products:)
Start with a plain piece of white paper.
Fold it in half...we say hotdog:)

Write or print your first name.  I have to remind my kiddos to do it pretty big.  If it's too small the bug won't look cool and their name will be lost in the pic.
Go over the pencil with black marker.
Fold it back in half...you will be able to see the black marker thru the paper....
Trace over that with the black marker again.
When you open it, you can see it thru the paper and you will need to trace it one more time.
Now you have the name on both sides.  I tell my kids to take their time so it's as close as possible to the other side...rushing messes it up and you lose the symmetry.
Now the fun begins!  Use a pencil and make your bug!! 









I only let them use black on their names so the name "pops" out of the picture when it's done:)
Hope this is something you can use and your kiddos will enjoy!!
Have a blessed Sunday!




9 comments

  1. I absolutely loved making these when I taught cursive (we called them Cursive Creatures)! We always put on a little bit of black paint, folded, and repeated until the whole name was complete. I wish I had taken pictures, but this was WAY before I started blogging. Yours turned out fantastic!
    Storie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are pretty darn cool Tara! I might have to try this with my Firsties just for some fun!!! Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed Sunday.
    ((HUGS))
    Tiffany
    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally going to do this this week... it is our testing week! Thanks Tara!
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cool! I'm thinking they will be a fun way to relax after a day of testing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's hard to believe, but I remembering doing these myself when I was in elementary school a looong time ago. I remember because I LOVED it. Funny how some things don't change. I have never done it with my kinders. Wonder how it would go. I won't know unless I try I suppose... Thanks for sharing. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made these for years, but would like to offer another idea . When we get to the part where we need to trace our names, we press the paper up against the window pane so that the sunlight shines through. It makes it much easier to see the name to trace it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHH I love this! Will be doing this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been searching for the rest lesson for symmetry and got it here. Thank Jesus and praise His holy name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super fun!!! I am going to have to do this with my third-grade kiddos before the year is over. We still have 4+ weeks to go... I know that they will love this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top