Multiple Choice Fans


Today I am re-posting about my multiple choice fans.  These little "tools" have been a staple in my classroom for the past several years! 

I made them years ago kind of out of necessity because we had materials in our classroom that could not be written in....I had to come up with a way to "assess" my students thinking/choices with the questions.  Sure, we could have gone the old paper/pencil route but what fun is that?

I decided to make multiple choice fans.  (well, my husband helped a LOT)  I have posted about these before, you can find the links to those posts below. They have changed over the years but the "basics" are still the same.

There are lots of ways to make these:
-You can make these super simple by just writing the letters on the sticks. 
- You can write A, B, C, D all on the same stick so each student would only need one. 
-You can put letter stickers on one stick (top,bottom,front,back)

The way I made them:
1) hubs drilled little holes in the bottom of each stick
2) Then I put on the stickers and added a layer of mod podge so they lasted and the stickers didn't peel off
3) After they are dry, attach them with a little nut, bolt, and washer.

I use these the most in small groups!  The kids get so excited when I pull out my little bin with all the fans in it:)

Once we get to a question, depending on the group, either I read it or they read it themselves and choose their answer but don't share it.  Once everyone is done, I say something like "show me in 3, 2, 1" and then all the sticks come up at once.  That way, they aren't looking at each others and changing answers. 
It's a super quick way for me to assess and fun for them.  If I see wrong answers, we review and chat about it.  I do have the occasional student who decides to get creative and make his fan into a helicopter propeller and then proceed to spin in on the table.....just keeping it real here.  Of course I have had to adapt to my kiddos.....now, I hand out the sticks but tell them they can't pick them up until we are ready to answer;)   

Here are the links to other posts where I have talked about these or shown pics. 

I hope this is something you can add to your "teacher toolbox"!


11 comments

  1. I love this idea! I just bought a few of the huge color packs for the turquoise ones (didn't want to dye them myself!). I was wondering what I could do with the extra. Voila! Your blog post came up today! Thank you for your constant inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Can you send a close up of the washer/nut/bolt situation? I need visuals.
    Love the idea of all on one stick as well - great to keep in their desks! i might add a velcro dot and stick it to the inside of the desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne, check out the links at the bottom of Tara's post. One of them has what you are looking for.

      Delete
  3. Have you checked out Plickers before? I used it this year in my class to switch it up a little bit and the kids LOVED it. I'm definitely going to be doing more of it next year. I am going to make some of your fans too!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be a great tool for my 5th graders this year. It is great when you keep things fresh for the kids to learn. Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! Anything to keep kids engaged for multiple choice work sounds good!


    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is such a great idea. I might do this with numbers so the students can give me the math answer using positive and negative numbers!

    Kimberly
    Stuck In The Middle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this idea! Now I need to get busy because I must have these for my classroom! Thanks for sharing!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top