Exit Tickets with a TWIST!

One of my goals this school year is to use exit tickets on a more consistent basis.  I decided to introduce exit tickets in a fun and memorable way.  We had a discussion about what exit tickets are and how and why they will be used this year.  We talked about how they will be used after a lesson and focused on one skill BUT, to introduce them, I let students have free choice as to what their exit ticket would be.
Can I be honest with you?  My kiddos have been working so hard with beginning of the school year routines and procedures.  For the most part, they have really done a good job picking up our workshop routines, so I wanted to "reward" that with a fun activity.  So yes, this was kind of last minute, like driving in my car on my way to work last minute.  I was SURE I had playdoh to do this with.  Then I got there and nope, no playdoh, BUT I had a huge pack of Bendy-Stix:)  

I gave each student 4 stix and told them they had to make something they learned this week.  I let them choose any subject area.  Once they made their exit ticket display, they had to explain on a note card what they learned.
I love how creative the students got with these.  This student made a factor rainbow.  I had just taught them about these that week during morning math meeting.
I had lots of science exit tickets.  Parts of a flower, seed dispersal, and pollination.
In social students we read about Florida's state flag and state symbols.
This was a really fun way to introduce exit tickets but I will also be using it again throughout the school year because I love the creativity it allowed the students to show and they really loved doing it.
Do you use exit tickets?  I would love to hear more about how you use them and I hope this is a fun activity you could try with your students:)

5 comments

  1. I like this idea. How much time did you give them to do this? I always seem to have kids that take a long time to complete their work. I like the idea of doing this once a week instead of trying to do this with every subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I gave them about 30-40 minutes. When I was getting ready to wrap it up, I gave them a little warning so they knew to speed it up and finish:)

      Delete
  2. I really like this idea to use as an end of the week reflection! Did you give students any guidelines or simply "show me something you learned this week"?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top