Pop Top Math and 5 for Friday

Linking up with Doodle Bugs to share 5 from my week:)
http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/05/five-for-friday-linky-party-may-16th.html
So here's a peek at 5 of my things from this week
After my last post about my math workshop I got quite a few questions about my pop top math so I thought I would share a quick video and some pics.  These are just plastic tops from pop and water bottles.  Little, round stickers fit perfectly on and in them.  The sticker on the top is the math fact.  Ours is multiplication because my kiddos can't practice enough!!

 
The kids love to play this!  If they get the fact right, they keep it...if they get it wrong, they put it back.  Whoever has the most pop tops at the end wins:)
I have been trying to pull out some fun stuff these last weeks of school.  One thing we did this week was make rocks out of playdoh.  They chose igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic.  They had a blast doing this....yes, 4th graders like to play with playdoh too!



Today I brought in toothpicks and a big bag of marshmallows and let the kids choose a 3D shape and make it.




After they made their shape they had to fill our a card with a pic, edges, vertices, and faces.  On the back of the card they had to draw a net of the shape:)
We had to finish up our week with our flashlight Friday:)  We all have just grown to LOVE this time.  It is so quiet and the kids love reading this way.


The highlight of my week?  This week my baby boy graduated from high school!!
This momma is proud and exhausted.  I have survived my daughter's college awards and graduation, my son's senior prom and graduation:)  It's been a crazy, wonderful couple of weeks:)
Have a blessed weekend everyone!

9 comments

  1. What an exciting week! Congratulations! Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pop tops idea!!! Thanks for sharing. Flashlight Friday would go with my Frenzy Friday! I have a quick review day were the kids rotate from table to table doing common core worksheets. We only spend 2 or 3 minutes on each, self-check, and at the end of all 5 rounds we tally which skills were hardest and those become their personal goal for the next week centers. Fun, fast, and frenzied!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bottle top idea - so simple yet so fun and effective! Congrats on your son's graduation! My 3rd son graduates in two weeks. It goes by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flashlight idea have to be creative to make my room dark enough! Thank you for sharing all your ideas...love them all
    Tera

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those 3D geometric figures! Whatta fun activity to do at the end of the year to review those math skills, especially when marshmallows are involved! Gonna steal that from ya!
    Thanks! : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got so many great ideas just from this one post! Congratulations on your son graduating!
    ~Heather
    Loose Shoelaces

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Please feel free to check out my blog I just started. www.journeyto5thgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thank you for sharing. I am taking a graduate class and our assignment was to comment on a blog. I didn't want to find just any blog, I wanted it to be meaningful. I searched 4th grade blogs and began reading yours as your name looked familiar from many pinterest pins :) You posted a lot of great ideas for keeping the kids engaged while still learning in these few weeks of school. I plan to try out a few ideas to review for out end of the year math benchmark! I especially like the the bottle caps because once you create it, it can be reused. My students struggle so much with their basic math facts and using this keeps practicing interesting! I may need to send out an all call for bottle caps though :)

    I also enjoyed your post on using play doh to create rocks. We are finishing up a unit on dissecting rocks and identifying the materials they are made of. Having students physically create play doh rocks might help them to better understand and recall their names.

    Thank you for sharing your ideas as I know it takes times to plan and then post them!
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top